Thursday, June 24, 2010

Final Blog-Mark

Friday will be Thea and my last working day at the St. Francis Inn, and Saturday, after going to one final Mass, we will leave Philadelphia to return to our “normal” life in Hickory. As the end of our ten-month stay here rapidly approaches, it is probably a good time for me to do an evaluation of the experience.
Our stay here has been wonderful. I have grown spiritually and emotionally, and it is sad to think that this chapter in our lives will soon be over. I have benefitted from the regular schedule, a life of service, and the presence of other committed team members and volunteers. While it is true that the work we have done here is mainly menial (washing dishes, cleaning bathrooms, bagging bread, and the like), the fact that we are doing these tasks to help others has made a great difference. As I mopped floors or swept the trash up in the Inn’s yard, I can honestly say that I was offering up those menial tasks to God and to His service. For sure there was also the perfectionism element that is present in everything I do: I certainly wanted it to be the very cleanest yard on the entire street, or wanted me to be the fastest dishwasher the Inn’s staff had ever seen!!! However, perhaps for the first time in my life, I was involved in situations where the main goal was service to others, without any possibility of advancement (financial, promotion, prestige) for me. This was very freeing and gratifying to me. It was a privilege to be able to serve others without the possibility of being paid back.
But, of course, we WERE paid back in countless ways. There was the incredible peace and satisfaction of knowing in your heart that you are being God’s instrument. When I would tell one of our guests that I would pray for him or her, I meant it and always followed through. There were a number of instances when I encountered a guest in crisis and was able to offer at least a word or sympathetic presence that, I believe, helped him or her get through. I don’t want to emphasize that too much. Compared to the core team members, most of whom have been here twenty years or more, Thea and I could not address most of the needs of guests beyond basics. However, we did what we could and gave freely of the talents we had, and that felt good.
Our time here has taught me a lot about others and about myself. When Thea and I first drove into the Kensington neighborhood, I was frightened. I looked upon the “street people” as blobs who slept on my doorstep or as threatening, sinister people to be avoided. Over the past months, I have learned that “street people” are just that – PEOPLE. Each of them has a story, often sad, frequently linked to drugs or alcohol abuse, and each of them is precious in the sight of the Lord. I now see that each of these “blobs” is just a valuable to God as Thea and I are. We are no better or worse than they – we have simply had more breaks along the way and now are called to give back, in thanksgiving for what God has done for us, to others who are less fortunate.
I have learned that the homeless in Kensington are just like any other population of people: some are wonderful; others are nice; and still others are bad news. Most say “Thank you” and “God Bless You” when we serve them, but others can be exceedingly irritating and demanding --- sort of like my family members or museum boards (just kidding!!!)
I have been truly inspired by the St. Francis charism and by the core team members here. Beginning with Brother Xavier (28 years) through Fr. Michael (23 years) and Sisters Mary and Leslie (22 years) and to the lay team members Barbara (20 years), Karen (19 years) and Judy (8 years), their level of commitment and service is unbelievable. They are true saints on earth – each caring for the guests in different ways and using their gifts to ease the pain and suffering of others. Like any community, the team is a mixture of personalities from the very organized (Mary, Leslie, Fred) to the more relaxed and spontaneous (Fr. Michael, Br. Xavier). On numerous occasions I have seen these team members hold their tongues and curb their natural tendencies to follow the leadership of another team member with a different style. I can tell you from personal experience that this is difficult to do: it is difficult to “die to self” so that the overall task may be accomplished in a manner that is acceptable to all.
This has been, perhaps, the best lesson of all for me. When we first arrived at the Inn, I approached the jobs we were given to do in the same way that I ran two science centers: we are organized; we move quickly, efficiently using checklists; and we utilize the talents of those around us to the maximum benefit. AND, we always say “Thank you!” and “Good job!” even if the person did a poor job.
Looking back, I have to smile – at least I got the last part – saying “Thanks” and “Good Job!” right! Most of the time, my emphasis on the tasks was important, but my nurturing of our volunteers (many of whom were students, young and inexperienced) was more important. Having them leave the Inn with a positive feeling about their experience was paramount, and I learned, over time, to insure that this happened.
So, in the end, Mark became a “kinder, gentler” team member, more prone to compliment, less inclined to criticize, and more aware of all of God’s blessings in my life. Add in the fact that I came here with lingering prostate cancer and a serious GI infection and am leaving in the peak of health, I would have to say that it has been a GREAT year.
God bless all of you who have faithfully read our blogs over the past ten months: we love all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Home. Thank you for sharing your life at St. Francis Inn. We'll miss the blog sooo much. Mary Ann and Jay

    ReplyDelete