Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Final" Fundraising Report

This is my "penultimate" blog. A week from Saturday, Thea and I will be leaving St. Francis Inn and returning to our "real lives" back in Hickory. Each of us is planning to do one last blog next week evaluating our time here, and so you have that to look forward to (Be still my beating heart......!). However, before my "swan song", I did want to give you an accounting of our fundraising efforts, to date.

You will remember that I was appointed to the Franciscan Volunteer Ministries (FVM) Associate Board last fall. The program has been supported for 20 years by the Holy Name Province of Franciscan Friars, but because of the economic downturn, the Province had to cut its funding by $75,000 per year. Fortunately, there was a budget surplus in the FVM's account which will get it (barely) through the 2009/2010 fiscal year ending on June 30th.

Upon its formation last summer, the Associate Board was charged with two tasks. First, we had to initiate a fundraising effort where none existed before. This is not a trivial matter. The Friars definitely have adopted St. Francis' attitude that "God will provide" and for 20 years have depended entirely on charity, and more than that, have NEVER asked directly for money. Obviously, that would now have to change. Second, the Associate Board would obviously have to try to raise $75,000 (minimum) to keep the FVM program going during the 2010/11 fiscal year (beginning on July 1st).

My first Board meeting was in January, and I was surprised to learn that not much had been done to address either of these issues. Yes, the board had met in September and had discussed various ideas, but no one had moved forward with any of them. After I got over my surprise, I realized that this was a perfect calling for me. (Father Michael put it another way: "God has sent you to us in our hour of need!") As various ideas were presented or reviewed from previous meetings, I would immediately challenge people (tactfully) with a question like: "OK, sounds like a good idea. Who would like to take this on, and what is our first step in the process?" This helped to focus the discussion. At the end of the meeting, I asked: "So, what is our list of "to-do's" for the next meeting and who's responsible for each?"

It took a couple of meetings, but fairly quickly, the board organized a letter writing campaign to alumni of the FVM program. Father Michael (kicking and screaming!) signed the letters and wrote personal notes to each recipient. (Father absolutely HATES asking for money! He views it as "un-Franciscan", whatever that means.) At the March Board meeting, one of our members made a challenge grant of $12,000 --- if we could raise $12,000, he would give $12,000. Everyone was really excited now: we just needed to get going.

Next, I teamed up with another member of the Associate Board member to give a half-day fundraising seminar to train key staff and FVM alums on the art of asking for money. We gave our "FVM: Survive and Thrive Day" on Saturday, April 10th. At the end of the session, each of 16 participants committed to writing letters and calling their contacts. Phase I of our fundraising was done. I waited a couple of weeks before asking Katie Sullivan, our FVM Program Director, if we'd gotten any responses. "Why yes", she responded, "so far we've gotten in $2600!"
I was amazed, because you have to remember that most of the FVM alums are, by definition, poor. They work in the non-profit sector or for churches/Catholic schools. To raise $2600 in only two weeks from this group was phenomenal.

Our next task was to solicit the FVM Associate Board itself. Encouraged by our success with the alums, I ghost wrote a letter for Sister Kathleen, the Chair, and sent it out. Finally, I wrote ten letters to my family, Thea's family, and our immediate friends. As I mailed the letters, I said a silent prayer because this was new territory for me. In all my years of fundraising, I had never directly asked my family or Thea's family for money.

In mid-May, I got a wonderful surprise. The Maryvale Sisters had organized a "walk-a-thon" at the daycare to benefit the St. Francis Inn's FVM Program. Sister Mary Norman had told me in February that this would be happening, but I had really forgotten about it. On May 21st, we received a large envelope (registered mail, no less!) from Maryvale. I wondered why the Sisters were writing us. Upon opening it, we found delightful pictures of the "walk-a-thon" plus a check for $4,232! "Holy smokes, I thought. Every child must have walked 10 miles to raise that kind of money." Thea and I were astonished.

I took the check over to the FVM office. After the "hooting and hollering" was over, I asked Katie if we'd gotten any responses to our various mailings and she coyly said "Father Michael wants to wait until the Board meeting (scheduled for June 10th) before we give out the numbers!"

So, I waited in suspense. I wondered if the alums were continuing to send money. I wondered if the Associate Board (other than Thea and I who, of course, had sent our check the day we received our letter!!) would give. I wondered if my friends and family would respond (or if, for that matter, they were still speaking to me.)

Finally, the day arrived for the Associate Board meeting. We reviewed all of the fundraising plans to date, dealt with some governance issues, some accounting issues, and then some scheduling issues for future meetings. Finally, the moment arrived when the fundraising report was handed out. Breathlessly, we looked at the numbers:

From FVM Alums: 21 gifts totaling $4470
From Associate Bd.: 10 gifts totaling $1877
From "Friends" of Alums and Board members: 26 gifts totaling $8,933
From Matching Gift: $12,000
From Father Michael's "contacts" and family: $45,600

TOTAL: $72,880

And the campaign continues!!! We have lots more planned including pulpit talks at Franciscan parishes, home parties, and even a special event. These will, we hope, insure the sustainability of the FVM program for not only next year but many years into the future.

To all of you who responded to me (I received 8 "yeses" from my 10 letters!), I say a heartfelt "Thank you!" To all of the Associate Board members and to the FVM alums who gave generously, I tip my hat.

But to Father Michael who HATES fundraising, I say: "I am never going to believe you again!!!!"

....just kidding!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of an old joke:

    During a flash flood, a just and faithful man found himself in his home surrounded by raging waters.

    A neighbor came by in a 4x4. "Get in!" the neighbor yelled. "No," said the faithful man, "God will save me!" An hour later, the man was forced by the rising waters to move to his second story bedroom. "Get in!" shouted a policeman in a rescue boat. "No," said the faithful man, "God will save me!"
    An hour later, the man was driven onto his roof. A National Guard helicopter came by, "Get in!" shouted the Guardsman. "No," responded the faithful man, "God will save me!"

    The man drowned and went to heaven, where he confronted God. "Why?" asked the man. "I trusted in you. I believed that you would save me! Why did you let me die?"

    God answered, "I sent a truck, a boat, and a helicopter! What more did you expect me to do?"

    Moral: God does provide, but sometimes He expects us to take advantage of the opportunities that He sends our way.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete